On Farm Troubleshooting
If you have an on farm problem or just want to improve performance, we are here to help. Here are some of the situations that Three Counties Feeds might be able to help you resolve:
- Milk yield below expectations
- Milk protein below expectations
- Milk butterfat below expectations
- Incorrect balance of milk quality to suit to milk contract
- Fertility problems
- Cow condition problems (over & under condition)
- Insufficient dry matter intakes (Ration too wet? Too dry? Sorting?)
- Acidosis (clinical or subacute)
- Nutrition related feet problems
- Dry cow management
- General herd health issues
It is crucial to get the transition part of the cow’s management cycle right or it can have a huge effect on the next lactation. At almost any yield level, getting this wrong can impact heavily on milk yield, fertility and profitability. There are almost as many ways to manage this period as there are farms. If your current system is not working as well as you would like, why not discuss it with us to see if we could help you improve your transition management.
Things to consider
- Look at the current system and if necessary help implement changes.
- Look at the length of dry period. 6 weeks dry or would 8 weeks be better?
- Look at cow comfort, feed space and water access.
- Suggest what might work for your herd.
- Look at your milking cows to check body condition score in the mid to late lactation cows.
- Depending on what we see make suggestions to alter cow condition if necessary.
- Help get the cows in the right condition at drying off.
- Put together a diet for the dry cows, be that one group or two.
- Monitor to make sure diet is working.
- Try to avoid any complications at and around calving.
- All the above going towards getting the freshly calved cow back into milk trouble free, with a healthy appetite ready to produce milk.